Monday, April 27, 2009


Over all, I don't think I will be sad to see April go this year. We had tornadoes touch down within 10 miles of the house Sunday April 19. Thank goodness no one was seriously injured but lots of scattered damage.
We have finally gotten plants in the ground in our garden last week. So far so good. They are still alive. We plant a few more it seems every day or two. Don is in heaven with his garden. It has been so long since I helped plant one. Like my sister-in-law Mary E. in Alaska always says "If you don't use it , you loose it!!" and she is right. I have forgotten so much of the small details of how my parents planted a garden. I remember scattered details but not the whole sequence.
Don has always wanted a garden but has never been able to have one. He is really 'gung ho' to have one, no matter what. It was hard to keep him out of the plot after all of the rain a week ago. We had just got the new tiller and he wanted to plow up everything. I kept trying to tell him he would do more damage than help if he got in it while it was too wet. He finally saw the muddy clots and understood. I keep telling him that gardening demands a lot of PATIENCE. I can't wait for the squash to put out baby squash so he can finally sit and watch them grow!! That and greenbeans are the two plants that actually grow right in front of your eyes. He checks on the plants every few hours, looking for signs of growth. Heaven help the rabbit or deer that gets in his garden.
I told him we would have to hang some small alumnin pans to scare the birds and such away. We have one robin that has walked every inch of the yard, over and over. I think that bird thinks we plowed up that plot just for him to hunt worms in.
The art show on the 18th in Montevallo was a bust. Not many people, cold and cloudy and scattered sprinkles of rain. Just really dreary. At 1PM Don said we were packing up and going home. I was ready to go, too. I don't leave shows early, only happened maybe twice in the last 35 years of doing shows but this one I was dead tired and cold. I went to bed as soon as we got home and slept 5 hours. I didn't even watch the Alabama A Day game on ESPN. I was just dead tired. I have listed the purses and pincushions and sachets on ETSY and hope I sell them there. Be sure and check out for all my pretties. I am listing more stuff every day as I get it photografted.
Plans for the wedding are going along. June 6 will be here before you know it. Don said we should have just gone to a judge and gotten married. Our tiny wedding is growing. I told him I don't plan on ever doing this again and after all it is my ONLY wedding. He is a good sport about it so far. Skip Hall, a friend from church and a former Special Forces member from Vietnam is going to stand up with Don (Don was also in Special Forces in 'Nam). My cousin Sheryl is going to stand up with me. When Sheryl and I were kids we promised each other we would do it. I stood up with her in 1969 and now 40 years later she will stand up with me. Took me a long time to find the right man. Well I guess more later. As grandmother Nelson used to say, "Got places to go and things to do!

No comments: